By Monica L. McCoy
Child abuse and overlook are tested during this re-creation -- the most recent learn, what it includes, and the way to acknowledge and file it. Federal legislation mandates the reporting of suspected baby maltreatment by means of many execs. This booklet will entice those that someday locate themselves within the function of a mandated reporter.
Engaging studying instruments are built-in throughout:
- Focus on Research packing containers supply an in-depth examine learn or methodologies.
- Case Examples and Debates inspire dialogue concerning the grey components within the box.
- Legal Examples and Focus on Law sections clarify judicial rulings together with publications for finding appropriate kingdom statutes.
- Discussion questions advertise discussion and deepen knowing of the cloth.
- Bold confronted key terms outlined whilst first brought additionally look within the book's glossary.
- Conclusions and Definitions aid scholars specialise in the major innovations brought in every one bankruptcy.
The new version additionally contains the subsequent features:
- A thorough updating of the citations and country and federal legislation, besides the latest statistics on prevalence and incidence in accordance with the recent nationwide occurrence examine NIS-4.
- A new bankruptcy on resiliency (Chapter 10) and extra dialogue of resilience within the face of maltreatment within the chapters on varieties of abuse (Chapters 4–9) offer a greater knowing of why a few childrens thrive regardless of experiencing maltreatment.
- New "Profiles" packing containers that characteristic information regarding graduate education in baby maltreatment, descriptions of jobs within the box, or biographies of people that paintings within the box to extend scholars‘ know-how of attainable occupation opportunities.
- Web-based teacher and scholar assets together with PowerPoints, weblinks, and a attempt financial institution with multiple-choice, brief resolution, and essay questions.
- More tables, figures, and photographs to raised illustrate and summarize key issues.
- New sections on baby maltreatment in army households (Chapter 2), baby weight problems due to maltreatment (Chapter 5), teenager "sexting" and its attainable prosecution as baby sexual abuse and Susan Clancy’s arguable thesis released in The Trauma Myth (Chapter 7).
- Updated and extra case examples together with fresh occasions that captured the public’s consciousness corresponding to the case of Jessica Beagley convicted of kid abuse for forcing her son to ingest scorching sauce and of Latrece Jones convicted of negligent murder for failing to have her son in a automobile seat.
The e-book opens with the historical past on baby maltreatment together with its heritage, an outline of the examine, and the chance components. information about mandated reporting also are explored. various sorts of maltreatment – actual abuse, overlook, mental maltreatment, sexual abuse, fetal abuse, and Munchausen by way of Proxy Syndrome – are then tested, besides the recent bankruptcy on resiliency. occurrence estimates and results for every kind of maltreatment are supplied. criminal concerns together with forensic interviewing are then reviewed. The e-book concludes with an instance of what occurs to a toddler after a document is filed in addition to feedback for fighting baby maltreatment.
Intended as a textual content for classes in baby abuse, baby maltreatment, kin violence, or sexual and intimate violence taught in psychology, human improvement, schooling, felony justice, social paintings, sociology, women’s experiences, and nursing, this publication can also be a useful source to staff who're mandated newshounds of kid maltreatment and/or someone attracted to the problem.
Read or Download Child Abuse and Neglect: Second Edition PDF
Similar abuse books
They promised Meredith 9 years of defense, yet simply gave her 3.
Her father was once presupposed to be locked up till Meredith became eighteen. She suggestion she had time to develop up, get out, and begin a brand new existence. yet Meredith is barely fifteen, and this day her father is coming domestic from criminal.
this day her time has run out.
Abraham Lincoln Award Nominee (2009)
Motivational Interviewing has turning into more and more common between counselors and therapists, yet no booklet to this point has concentrated solely on employing Motivational Interviewing to family and associate violence. Written through validated professionals within the box, the chapters during this quantity characterize vital functions of motivational enhancement options to intimate associate violence with either sufferers and batterers.
Human trafficking constitutes the most severe human rights violations of our time. besides the fact that, many social paintings practitioners nonetheless have a negative and incomplete knowing of the reports of kids and kids who've been trafficked. In Trafficked teens, the authors demand a extra refined, proficient and higher built realizing of the diversity of concerns dealing with trafficked teens.
- Child of Twilight
- Tell Me What Happened: Structured Investigative Interviews of Child Victims and Witnesses
- Becoming Anna: The Autobiography of a Sixteen-Year-Old
- New Directions in Child Abuse and Neglect Research
- Sexual Assault on the College Campus: The Role of Male Peer Support
- Daddy's Little Earner: A Heartbreaking True Story of a Brave Little Girl's Escape from Violence
Additional info for Child Abuse and Neglect: Second Edition
Children who are left alone for a large number of hours but have parents who make speaking to them while they are at home a priority may have perfectly adequate vocabularies. It is only when we conduct an experiment that we can be experiment confident about cause-and-effect relationships. In an experiment, a form of scientific participants are randomly assigned to groups, and the groups are research in which a treated identically except for the one variable of interest. This researcher manipulates would mean taking a sample of 100 children, assigning half of one or more variables in them to the condition of spending 1 hour alone per day and order to see the effects assigning the others to a second condition of spending 3 hours on another variable or alone per day, and then measuring their vocabulary at some later variables.
Gov. S. Department of Health and Human Services: Administration for Children and Families and is called the Child Welfare Information Gateway. Under the link for Child Abuse and Neglect, you will find the following subheadings: Overview Definition Identification Statistics Risk and Protective Factors Perpetrators Impact Fatalities RESEARCH ON MALTREATMENT This textbook is based on the existing research on child maltreatment. Great strides have been made in understanding abuse and its consequences, but there is still much to learn.
Just as not all difficult children or all children with disabilities will be abused, not all depressed parents or all parents with a history of being maltreated will abuse their children. Will the depressed parent who was abused as a child, and who is now the parent of a disabled child, definitely maltreat that child? No. These are three risk factors, but the parent and the child are just two pieces of the maltreatment puzzle. We also need to look at the entire family. Family Structure and Functioning Factors Families in which maltreatment occurs tend to score lower on a host of measures related to family functioning.